Sunday, May 20, 2007

Blogs with no Feedback are pretty much Masturbating.

I had a post on Angelwings blog, but I can't seem to find it now. I'm just gonna assume it was deleted. I was gonna post this on someone else's blog, but that's kind of messed up and this is some personal shit that has nothing to do with funnybookbabylon, so it can't go there. I'm just kind of pissed and I want this up somewhere so others can see it and tell me how wrong I am. I'm a stubborn guy who likes to hear what other people think. This is probably my most redeeming personality trait.

I'm kind of not sure what's the point anymore of people posting things on a public site if they do not want others to react to it. Either keep your site private or just don't post on the internet. Because I'm fucking sick of the whole let me take my ball home mentality, when someone gets sick of the discussion, that I see alot in the internet and in political discourse. This shit happens all the time on the subforum I post on something awful (BSS), that I now keep out of there more often than I want to.

I hate this idea that you can say whatever you want but not expect critiquing from others. If we applied this philosophy to anything else in the world, we wouldn't be able to fucking move ahead as a society. We would be stuck in some awful group think. People who go out there and challenge what others think end up changing the world. I understand people are afraid of being told they are wrong, but that's too bad. An opinion not worth defending is one not worth having.

The moment you make your opinion public to the outside world people have the right to call you on what they believe to be fallacies in your arguement. In the case of sexism and racism, this is one of the best ways that we get to help tell people that we think their behaviour is wrong. Our words are one of our most powerful tools. We use it to speak and interact with each other. It is the way that we achieve great things together.


Disclosure:

I come from a family whom faced a good deal of political persecution in our home country, having a family member imprisoned and tortured for a chunk of time. They left for America sometime afterwards, so I could be born someplace where free speech was considered important. I was always raised to believe that you should be allowed to say what you feel in response to others.

This is no where near the same. To suggest so is insulting to both my family and Angelwing. This is just a reason why this kind of think makes me rage hard inside. I just have to say that this type of attitude kind of really saddens me. I just wish people would open the channels of communications so we can try to resolve and change things instead of ineffectually critiquing them. We are much more powerful together than not.

6 Comments:

At 3:32 AM, May 20, 2007, Blogger Ami Angelwings said...

Hi Pedro :)

I guess, for me. If I posted something in a forum or something and ppl got mad at me, then.. yah... that's fine XD

But ppl's own blogs are different. :) That's why blogs allow banning and deleting and moderation. Cuz it's the person's own blog.

I kinda see it like, I'm out in public, with my friends, having a conversation with them. Some other ppl come up to our table. Maybe they have good things to say :) Maybe not :\ But they can't just keep harrassing us with it. :(

If they have an opinion, they can express it with their friends, but they have no right to force themselves on us. It's called harrassment :\

I never advocated censorship. :(

And.. it's my blog :\

I dun appreciate ppl showing up, not reading nething else I said, and then attacking points I never made. :(

You dun have to agree with me. :\ Just respect me (and my wishes) :)

 
At 3:53 AM, May 20, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If they have an opinion, they can express it with their friends, but they have no right to force themselves on us. It's called harrassment :\

It absolutely is not harassment. It is harassment if it crosses the line into insults and things like that. If it is someone disagreeing with you, it is conversation or discussion.

The internet, like it or not, is a public space. Allowing comments and such on your blog is an implicit, if not explicit, acceptance of that. The things I say online can be responded to and refuted by someone else.

If someone posts something I don't agree with on my blog, they aren't forcing anything on me. I can either read it or delete it. I may own my blog, but it is not private, any more than a lunch table or classroom is. If I say something wrong, I expect to be called on it.

Suggesting that people with an opinion only speak about it with their friends? No, that is not right at all. That's an unwillingness to examine ideas outside of your own and the only thing that does is stunt your growth. You won't ever learn anything if you aren't willing to step outside your comfort zone and listen to what other people have to say, rather than dropping dissenting opinions off your site, simply because it's yours.

If everyone did that, nothing you ever said or did would have any effect at all.

If someone is trolling, fine, do what you like. I don't personally delete those, but to each his own. If it's just an opinion you don't share? You may not be a government, but deleting those comments is censorship.

 
At 8:17 AM, May 20, 2007, Blogger Ami Angelwings said...

David, I wasn't saying that to apply to nebody but myself :\

That's just how I feel about MY blog.

You dun have to agree :\

I dun think it's censorship. :) You do and you dun take that opinion on your blog :) Which is fine XD

I dun see why this is worth fighting about :(

I personally see it as my lawn. It's mine. It's also technically open to the public. That doesn't mean ppl can do whatever they like to it. If I put up a sign on my lawn, ppl can put up an opposing sign on their lawn. Or if I let them they can put up a sign on my lawn.

However, they can't just put stuff on my lawn and say I can't do nething about it :(

Pedro's doing exactly what he SHOULD :) He's writing dissent on his blog :D

I'm writing stuff on my blog that I believe in :)

I dun see the problem :(

Everybody's happy :) He expresses himself. I express myself :) He's welcome to delete this comment if he wants xD

I just dunno why we're fighting about this :(

If you think it's censorship, then you can think that :) I personally dun. :)

And for the sexual reference. If posting without comments is masturbating, then posting and having comments from trolls or ppl you dun want to comment would be like being assaulted :\

Sex is between consenting adults right? Even if you spread your legs in public, NOBODY has the right to smex you. :\ I'm not saying you implied that XD I'm just saying this is my view and why I dun like when ppl troll my blog. :|

You dun have to agree :D

*offers hugs to all*

I rly didn't mean to get ppl upset :(

 
At 8:21 AM, May 20, 2007, Blogger Ami Angelwings said...

Oh and Pedro and David,

I'm rly sorry if I offended or made you upset :( You sound kinda angry... so I'm sorry :(((

I dun mean to make ppl upset or angry or stuff :( So I apologize if I did :D

 
At 10:47 AM, May 20, 2007, Blogger Pedro said...

I'm more disappointed than upset. I expected the comics blogging community to be a place where ideas can be exchanged and listened to, and I find myself looking at a group of people more interested in just only listening to like minded individuals.

My hope is to be part of the change that increases the non-white/straight/male viewpoint in comics and shake the insular, self-congratulatory niche, closed off world of capebooks. Don't become this with your blogs. Don't shun outsiders. This is what we are fighting against.

You state, I get to express myself here, but you also get to express yourself here. We could not do this on your blog. It would not happen. You are not open to it in a place you deem private but is public enough that I can post on it. We both get to talk this dialog out. I'm willing to let others speak here because I want to create spaces where we can feel safe to talk it out.

OMDK and FBB, and anything I creatively work with will always be places to get your opinion on. It's kind of boring to here myself talk aloud.


And for the sexual reference. If posting without comments is masturbating, then posting and having comments from trolls or ppl you dun want to comment would be like being assaulted :\


My whole point is that if you are just going to masturbate, you should do in the privacy of your own home instead of a public place here people can walk by. Not everyone is into a free live sex show. We also have laws against getting naked and spreading your legs if you want to completely stretch my metaphor like that.

Alot of the sites you champion on your blog specifically use the tools of critiquing to get out their opinions and their ideas. Their forums are dedicated to striving to use what they have to change things.

You cannot have it both ways in this world. The moment you open your mouth to judge others, you allow yourself to be judge. You either learn to develop a thick skin like many other prominent bloggers or you just shut up.

 
At 2:07 PM, March 25, 2008, Blogger Unknown said...

Don't think that "lawn" analogy works. It is always private property and it doesn't present an idea.

Now, a more appropriate analogy would be if you had a pro-candidate sign on your lawn. It would be pretty idiotic for you to publicly declare your support for a candidate and then turn away anyone who asked you to explain why you're supporting them.

BTW, Pedro: I'm adding spoiler warnings from this point forward. If you could add warnings to your blog for ones that have people typing "dun" instead of "don't", I'd appreciate it...because I now have a headache. ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home